Northwest School District Closing - Coronavirus COVID-19
3/30/2020 Update

Parents and Students – Governor DeWine just updated the school closure directive and extended the closure to May 1, 2020.
We will keep you updated on any further developments.
History of the Northwest Local School District
Northwest was formed over fifty years ago by merging the McDermott, Otway, and Rarden School Districts. Union Elementary students attended either McDermott or Otway High School. Morgan Elementary students attended McDermott, Otway, Rarden or Valley High School. The original school board was composed of members selected one from each of the former township boards of education. These men were President Glenn Shelton, from Union township; Vice President, Glenn Emnett, Rush township ; Clerk Homer Penn, Brush Creek township; Earl Crabtree, Morgan township ; and Joe Reynolds, Rarden township. Berl Haney, from McDermott, became the first Executive Head(Superintendent) of the Northwest Local School District. Leo Thompson, from Rarden, became the Principal of Northwest High School. Gilbert McNeal, from Otway, became the Guidance Counselor.

In the Fall of 1956, a special election was held in which the bond issue for construction of Northwest High passed by a high percentage. Construction by Don King Construction Co. began in March, 1957. The first Northwest Commencement was May 13, 1959. Ohio Governor Ted Strickland was a member of the first class to graduate from the newly formed Northwest High School.

Thirty years later voters approved a 5.6 mill bond levy on May 7, 1991 to build a new high school and elementary. The former high school would be renovated to house the middle school. The new buildings would allow grades K-8 that were still located in the four townships of McDermott, Morgan, Otway, and Union to be consolidated into one central elementary and middle school. A total of 2,913 votes were cast, with 2,190 votes for the levy and 723 in opposition. The groundbreaking ceremony was conducted on Monday, April 20, 1992 for the 18.3 million dollar construction project. The high school was occupied on April 18, 1994 - the middle and elementary buildings on August 22, 1994.
 
Links to the Past
Graduate Lists
Graduate Composites
For many years a senior composite photograph of each graduating class was taken and could be seen mounted up and down the hallways of each school. Click the links below to take a look at the composites compiled to date. Note that it does not include every graduating class, only those available to us at this time.
One Room Schools
The project began in 1980 when Dean McClay, who was the principal at Otway Elementary, and chairman of the “Fair Project” proposed that pictures of the existing One-Room Schools be taken and displayed at the Scioto County Fair to show “Where We Came From”.

Phillip McClay (Dean McClay’s son) and Martin McAllister (Tunney McAllister’s son) took the 1980 pictures. Phillip and Martin were on the Lakota yearbook staff. They ran the darkroom and printed the pictures too.
 
Use the links below to see PDF documents of the district's one room schools.
View text-based website